Empire State Building | New York Attractions | NY City Tours
The Empire State Building is a 102-story landmark Art Deco Skyscraper in the heart of New York City, at the corner of 5th Avenue and West 34th Street. The Empire State Building is 1,250 ft (381 meters) tall and its name is derived from the nickname for New York, it’s tallest building for more than 40 years, from its completion in 1931 until construction of the World Trade Center’s North Tower ‘the Empire State’.
The Empire State Building was considered as the world’s tallest building for more than 40 years, from its completion in 1931 until construction of the World Trade Center’s North Tower was completed in 1972.
A New York Hotel in Manhattan - The Milford – A NYC Times Square Hotel. The Milford Plaza Hotel is located in the heart of Times Square, the Theater District and all Manhattan Activities, NYC City Tours, Manhattan Events and NYC Shopping, New York City Restaurants and New York Attractions including Empire State Building.
View our NYC Hotel Special Offers >
Check Rates or Make Reservations > or call: 888-352-3650
For the better part of a century, visitors to the New York have headed straight to the Empire State Building for the thrill of a lifetime: the journey aloft to its fabled Observatory nearly a quarter of a mile above Fifth Avenue. Here you are treated to breathtaking panoramas across the rooftops, avenues and byways of the New York Metropolitan areas, to as far away as 4 neighboring states.
Quick Facts about the Empire State Building:
- The Empire State Building is one of the most famous skyscrapers in the world, built in just 18 months during the Great Depression, it was the world's tallest building from 1931-1972.
- It's original cost, including the price of land, was $40,948,000, a very low figure for a building of this size even at that time. The building itself cost only $24,718,000.
- On Saturday, July 1945, a B-25 bomber crashed into Empire State Building's 79th floor, which housed the Catholic War Relief Services. Only 14 people died and the Empire State Building reopened 2 days later.
- The Empire State Building was built on the former site of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.The Empire State Building is one of the most popular NYC City Attractions.
- The shape of the Empire State Building was inspired by its developer, John Jakob Raskob, who is said to have pulled a pencil from his drawer, held it up to his architect (William Lamb), and asked "Bill, how tall can you make it so that it won't fall down?"
- The observation tower at the top of the Empire State Building was originally intended to be a dock for mooring airships. However, after several futile attempts at mooring a zeppelin in the strong winds present at 1,250 feet, the idea was scrapped.
- The top of the Empire State Building is lit up at night in different colors to celebrate various holidays. For a long time after Sept. 11, 2001, it was continuously lit red, white, and blue.
- After 9/11/2001, the Empire State Building regained its title as, ‘The Tallest Building in NYC’, lost from the destruction of WTC Twin Towers. It will be surpassed by One World Trade Center in 2013.
- The 86th floor observatory is visited by 3.5 million people every year.
About The Milford Hotel - A New York Hotel
Milford Plaza Hotel is located in the heart of New York City, surrounded by Times Square, the Broadway Theater district, Manhattan’s best Restaurants and Nightclubs, the Empire State Building, the subway, NYC Shopping and more – and is undergoing a $140 million renovation to remain among the best NYC Hotels in Manhattan with 1,300 completely remodeled Guest Rooms and Guest Suites.
The Milford Hotel recently completed all new Guest Rooms and is renovating the Lounge, Fitness Room, and accommodations that will impress Guests worldwide. This historic Times Square Hotel is perfectly located near all NYC Activities and Attractions that bring visitors to Manhattan – for business or pleasure. Jacob Javits Convention Center, the financial district, Madison Square Garden, MOMA, Central Park, the Rockefeller Center, Greenwich Village, and much more is within minutes by walk or ride. Come see the best of NYC and stay at The Milford Plaza Hotel – the favored destination for a Times Square Hotel.
When you visit New York, choose Milford Plaza Hotel - A New York Hotel located in the heart of Times Square.
Take a Photo Tour of our New York Hotel.